In the post Do This Instead I mentioned 5 things to consider when you think about how to improve your life, mindset and disposition.
“He who has so little knowledge of human nature as to seek happiness by changing anything but his own disposition will waste his life in fruitless efforts.”
The five things discussed were;
- Be curious
- Living from Wonder
- Laugh from your belly
A pretty good list if you ask me. In fact I think a number of the comments agreed. Good news! I have a few more to share with you.
Before I do that however, I want to mention that in no way do I suggest you should or could go ahead and simply change all of these to perfect your life over night. Goodness..that’s just crazy talk! What I suggest is you take a look at these and imagine where you could open up to possibilities of change or growth in your life. Pick one to focus on and go from there.
You can make goals (yup even SMART goals) around each of these to give yourself some focus and purpose. You spent a life time establishing habits, you can’t expect to simply exchange them for new ones in one fell swoop. If you need some help there…let me know at email@example.com !
With no further ado:
1. Learn to listen. Yes, yes I know. Most of us have perfectly decent ears that work but in all truth most of us suck as good listeners. Being a good listener takes focus and practice. We should strive first to understand before we worry about being understood. It takes a fair bit of mental energy devoted to another person’s thoughts and ideas to be a good and empathetic listener.
2. Take Responsible Risks. Remember when I told you for one month I was going to say ‘yes’ to every opportunity that came my way..even if it was a bit scary? Well in that yes month I did take some personal risks and it really paid off. However, they were responsible risks. I mean let’s face facts; if you had suggested I jump off a bridge I’d probably have said no anyway. It wouldn’t be a responsible risk. There is a difference. Being adventuresome doesn’t mean being stupid. Take the level of comfort and competence you already have to the edge and see what awaits you.
3. Think about it upside down. Now if you can stand on your head and think about things go ahead; please enjoy the view. I, however, will simply use this expression to mean that you need to be flexible in your thinking and practice seeing things from a different perspective. Innovation comes from trying a novel idea. When you generate options and alternatives you let go of your obsession with a specific outcome and might just end up with something pretty freakin amazing. So, practice asking yourself “what else is possible here?”
4. Live from Compassion. Seriously, if you didn’t know I’d put this on in the list you haven’t followed me very long. When you make choices and decisions with compassion as the base for them life is kinder, gentler, more peaceful and much more loving. Keep in mind that having compassion in mind in the way you treat yourself is also important. You are, after all, setting a precedent for how others act towards you. You want to get rid of a lot of crap and negativity in your life…this is a perfect place to start.
5. Remain open to Continuous Learning. There is no time in the human condition that we should be done with learning. There is so much to understand, explore and be thrilled by. When you stop learning and entertaining new ideas and ways of seeing things…it is there that you cease to live and simply exist. Accept that there is much we don’t know, much we can learn and go out to find it. Throw your pride and need to be ‘right’ out the window and become open and aware that ‘you do not know’ and this is perfectly okay. This will stop you from fighting life’s lessons and instead bring peaceful acceptance of all that life offers you.
6. Choose to have found your bliss. Right here, right now is all we really have. Yesterday is the past and is gone, tomorrow is an unfulfilled promise. Today is it, this very moment. Please lovelies…don’t waste it. There is happiness, joy and love to be found even in the worst of circumstance; if only you will open your eyes and heart to it. You have to choose to see it. The more bliss you choose to focus on, the more you will find. It’s the Law of Attraction lovelies..and it works.