Life balance. Heard of it? I’m going to go ahead and guess a resounding YES.
What is it? Ask this question and a good number of people will fumble for an answer. The reason is it isn’t terribly defined and isn’t the same for everyone.
Life is all about the balancing act. One that never does end by the way. Someone is always throwing in an extra pin, got to keep spinning those plates or the road gets bumpy.
I have come to the conclusion that there is no right way, no perfect path and no one person who gets it all right.
That being said I do have some thoughts that might help you figure out your own balancing act.
- Life is holistic. Meaning one part will affect all the other parts and all the other parts affect each one part. Crazy right? The take away is that even if you can’t fix everything today, beginning somewhere will make everything a little bit better.
- You chose how you react to situations. So chose already. Sure you didn’t get the promotion at work and you can choose to stew about it, poisoning your work environment OR you can choose to view it differently. Perhaps you might think about all the time you’ll be able to spend at home rather than at work because that new position required much more from you. Perhaps you can view it as an opportunity to ask your boss what you can do to make yourself more viable. Perhaps this is the wake up call that its time to look at other career paths in different companies. The point is you can choose..so choose wisely.
- Surround yourself with good people. Too often we let people who tear us down into our lives and then we go ahead and let them stay! Find supportive, nurturing people and then emulate them. We are what we live after all.
- Ask. That’s right. Ask for what you need. Ask for help when you need it. However, don’t forget to ask what you can do for someone else. It goes both ways.
- Laugh and share the love. Feel the joy in life. Love with an open heart. For some reason our society really likes to focus on always harping about what’s wrong. Why not focus on what’s right? One of my mottos is ‘life is short, eat dessert first” Make it a priority to tell and show the people you care for that you care.
- Feel all the emotions that life has to offer you. Be mindful and chose to experience them fully. Even the not so great feeling like grief and sadness teach us the lessons we need to learn and create growth we are looking for. As humans we tend to avoid discomfort, but it is here that we often find our ability to bloom.
- You must learn to stand in your own truth. Know who you are, where you are and where you are going and be openly honest about it all.
Please add to this list of tips and truths. What have you discovered about life balance?